Monday, October 31, 2011

Need help with a special project

Hey guys I have been presented with a wonderful opportunity. My dream has been to be an author. However, I never dreamed my start through the creation of books for families dealing with medical issues.

The opportunity I have is I have a Navy Doctor friend who keeps begging me to get the books I have created for my kids ready to be presented for publishing. He knows a program in the military that can help me get these books published for the EFMP or Exceptional Member Family Program, then from there the books can be presented to other medical organizations.

I have been told that there is a huge need for support materials for parents with children like ours. There is even a higher need for the children and their siblings to learn and understand some of the procedures they are going to be or have gone through.

The books I have so far are:

Preschool-kindergarten level: child’s guide to button a button change Mostly picture book with simple sentenced

Parents: Instruction guide book about g-tube changes, complete with glossary of basic terms new parents may not know yet

4th-5th grade level book on blood, covering red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, bone marrow how platelets are made, what ITP and other basic stuff

Preschool book on Autism
Several social story based books to teach young children with autism life skills such as how to play games, clean a room, cross a street, respond when called and such

However the one I am struggling with the most is the instruction guide for parents about helping them help their understand their new button.

What I need are suggestions from you guys as parents as things you have done to help your cope during difficult times with their feeding tubes and what you have done to help them feel more comfortable and “normal” as possible. I also need your permission to use this in the book. As my friend has said there are no parent guides available for parents like us. We have learned all we know from personal experience. He said something like this would also be a very valuable tool for the doctors, as they have no idea how to help frightened parents being told “your child needs a feeding tube.” Other than from the parents who have talked with them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that is sooo cool!!!!