Monday, April 2, 2012

One surgery done!!!

Well surgery went good today, and I actually came home today so even better!! The only complications we faced is I did not wake up from the anesthesia as quickly as wanted (according to Frank) and I have at least 2 more medications to add to my drug allergy list.

The pre-op prep that was used is called Sage Prep, and has chlorhexidine in it. Using the Sage prep use a baby wipe type cloth and rub the down the surgery area for 90 seconds with each wipe. We some redness is normal. However for me the redness kept getting redder and within just a few minutes my stomach looked like it was badly sunburned, and the few stretchmarks I had were swelling. Not only that I had sunburn look up my neck, behind my ears, and by the time the benadryl came but I had already been fighting to scratch the painfully itchy areas for nearly 15 minutes. They had to see if this was just a reaction or a true allergy. The dr came in and said mark this down as allergy as the redness and flat hives are spreading to her face.

The anesthesia team did a great job making sure I did not wake up this time. However, this is the 2nd time in a row waking up was difficult for me.

Then in the PACU after the surgery they gave me some fentanyl for the pain and within minutes I in burning hot stabbing needle itching pain once again. This time in the process of trying to scratch my legs I caused my stomach too hurt worse. I tried so hard not to scratch, but was on so many meds that I had no control over what my body was doing and the nurse would not let me fall back asleep like my body wanted. Once again I was given more benadryl via the IV. This helped some but not totally

Ugh my allergy list is growing longer than my med list... Sigh...

Tomorrow is Ellie's pre-opt with her peds dr
Thursday is her admission and Friday her surgery..

No comments: