Saturday, February 21, 2015

Ellie's Question on Foster Parenting

Last week Ellie asked me, "Mom why do some raise foster children?"
I told her they bring children in their homes that need a temporary home because something went wrong in their home. Well she replied back.
"Well yeah, but why do they give their home and treat them like their kids?"

With Ellie not being satisfied with my answer I turned to FaceBook and asked friends on there who are foster parents for their reasons. The answers we got back made Ellie very happy.

 The answers we got back were:

Patty: 
Because some have lots of love to give to children who need it that don't have children at home
Aunt Barbara: 
Also some kids are without parents and are looking for parents to accept them for who they are and say your my child now.

Aunt Teresa: 
Great questions, Ellie! I can't speak for other foster parents, but we started taking kids in because I was in foster care when I was little and I wanted to return the favor. Uncle is a good man and agreed with me.  so when our girls were old enough, we started fostering. As far as why we welcome kids into our home and treat them like our kids...God wants every one of His children to have a home where they are safe, loved, and taken care of. When we became foster parents, we made a promise that we would treat any child who enters our home like we would our own children. We can't always give every child what they need, but we do our very best. Love you and your inquisitive mind, Ellie!

Rhonda: 
I was the "host child" (the biological/legal child) in a foster family. We took in kids because everyone deserves to have a family.... and if their first family wasn't able to fulfill the job, we wanted to do it. As soon as a girl came into our home, they were my sisters.... my parent's daughters. There was no distinction. Just like an adopted child grows in their parents' hearts, the same happens with foster children. When they walk in the door, they become family.... with the same rights, responsibilities, and love as anyone else.

Jinjue:
Yes we do. We treat them like they are one of our bio kids. Our home is their home. If we go somewhere they go. If we go to a family gathering, they go. 


Just the same way if a baby was born into your family~ they become part of your family. But it may be a baby, or a 3 year old or a 17 year old, and we don't know if they'll be here for a day of for years.. But we love them and want them to feel welcome and a part 

Michelle: 
Because there is enough love & room in our hearts...and if a kid needs a family, even just for a little bit, they should get a 'real' family full of real love. 

When I shared these answers with her, her response melted my heart. Not only did she love them, but her love for others was clearly shown by the answer she gave back. She said "I know all your friends make the best foster parents. And my foster cousins get the best mommy and daddy ever, even if it is only for a day or two. Those kids are lucky to get special love like I do."

She has such a gentle and loving nature about her. No matter what is going on in her life, she thinks about others first. Even when she is in the hospital, she wants to be in the playroom where she can make others smile (when she is allowed to).

No comments: