Saturday, October 24, 2015

You're Not A Good Anesthesiologist

Chantelle has quite the personality and often speaks what she is thinking. During her last surgery she had a new anesthesiologist and did not think she was good because she all business and did not have any good jokes to make her giggle.

As she was in IRC and in the process of being put under with the laughing gas first, Bug is used to the anesthesiologist telling her jokes to help her giggle and take good deep breaths. Well this anesthesiologist was business and this step was not as important to her. This step is an important part of the routine that Bug has become used to, and skipping this step is unacceptable, as was pointed out.

Bug- You're not a good anesthesiologist!
Dr.- Oh really why is that?
Bug- Because you don't know any good jokes. You have to know jokes and makes kids like me laugh. I know jokes too but that's your job not mine. I'm not scared, but you can't let others get scared.
Dr.- You're very right.

At this point she tried telling a joke and Bug laughed saying "that's worst joke I heard." She then told one and had everyone laughing. At this point the anesthesiologist nodded to the team to used the sleepy medicine and she drifted off to sleep.

As I was walking out of the room the anesthesiologist motioned for me to come to her an with a very serious face she told me, "Your daughter is right. It's my job to help make sure these kids are not scared and their last memories are happy silly memories. Many of them will wake up confused, scared, and in so much pain because of what we have to do. I need to help them better."

No comments: