Sunday, November 23, 2008

Found the Real “Bully”….

After having Corbyn take a bath, I circled every single bruise on his body and we discussed why I was circling his bruises. Holy cow the child has 42 circles on his body!!! During the circling session we talked about the fact that I would be talking with his principal, his primary teacher, (he has a team of three) the school nurse, and his peds dr. Confused he asked me why so I let him know that we need to find out why he is getting so many bruises and why they are not leaving.

I then called Jairon in showed him Jairon’s forehead when just last week he had a huge goose egg due to running right into the wall. Yes, the darn kid ran and did not stop till the wall stopped him knocking him on his butt. I asked Corbyn where the bruise was (gone of course). Then had him show me his leg where he hit the monkey bars and asked what the difference is. We talked about the fact that the dr needs to help us find out why he has so many bruises that are not leaving.

We also talked about bullying and his version. Turns out he is getting “bullied” when playing soccer. The conversation we had follows.

Me pushing him: I do not like you
Me pushing him: get away from me
Is this child doing this to you?
Corbyn “no”
Has he pushed you down on the playground when playing “no”
Has he pushed you out of line? “no”
Has he pushed you off the playground equipment? “no”
Has he pushed you since he got suspended (he was suspended for pushing another child a while back) “no”
Has he tripped you when you are running? “yes, when we are trying to kick the soccer ball” (ah ha moment)
“sometimes we get in a big crowd everyone trying to kick the ball and he kicks me”
“I like my shoes because they help me move really fast from the back of the crowd to the front where the ball is, and we all kick and get kicked”

At this point I started to laugh and told him if anyone is getting bullied it is the soccer ball with everyone trying to make a goal.

We have a misunderstanding about what bullying is and is not. This is an issue I do need to bring to the principal so this can be addressed. If he is confused then I know others are too.

No comments: