Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Long Stressful Week

Oh my goodness what a week I have had. Last Wednesday I started to not feel good at all. My tonsils were swelling, back hurting, overall not feeling well at all. By Wednesday night I had a fever and no real appitite. By Thursday my throat did not hurt but my tonsils were very swollen and my back hurt so bad that I could barely walk.

I had been drinking water like crazy but just could not get warm even though outside it was 95 degrees. That evening we decided I needed to be seen in the Urgent Care center as Friday we had plans to met with friends for dinner and games.

The Urgent Care center tested for strep, UTI, and kidney infection. All came back negetive, so I was sent home with narcotics to help my back and told to call the pain clinic and see my dr ASAP the following day.

The soonest I fould get with my was 3 the following afternoon. So Friday I went in they tested me again for strep, kidney infection, UTI, a ton of blood work. Then I was unable to meet with our friends because I had to have a STAT MRI with and and without contrast. All I can stay is thank goodness for valium because that MRI was SO DANG long. Simply laying down flat was painful but I made it through. THe MRI showed nothing conclusive.

Monday I spoke with the drs on the phone, then Tuesday I had to go back in once again. This time once again a TON of blood was drawn. They took HUGE vials like 6, then 4 glass bottles with 20cc in each bottle. Once again I had to wait around this time for a MRI.

The MRI required a quart of barium. However they now offer flavoring with a note "for your improved drinking pleasure." HAHA improved drinking pleasure yeah right. That Vanilla Slushi Blast is SO far from a vanilla shake. And a quart of that stuff REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So today I got a call from my dr (who is not working today) to give me the results of the testing. The thing that has baffled the drs the whole time is my while blood count (well all blood counts related to infection) have been within normal ranges the while time.

This baffled them because earlier my tonsils were so big inside they were almost touching each other, I was running fevers even with 3 meds that NORMALLY block (or even reduce) fevers, on narcotics and other meds. Things did not add up. Lymph nodes were swollen, I had the symptoms of strep, kidney infections and other things but everything was negetive.

Today she called to let me know that my PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome) was acting up and in a bad flair up. my left ovary was slightly enlarged, my right ovary is 3-4x the normal size and loaded with cysts.

It seems the plan of the partial hysterectomy to remove everything but the ovaries to shut down the PCOS was not effective. The swollen ovaries made my body think I had an infection causing the fevers. The fevers induced the swollen lymph nodes including the tonsils. My body was fighting an infection that was not there counting for the normal white blood count.

Because I have only been taking one naprixin (found out today I need 2 pills) I have not been getting enough anti-inflamitory meds for when I started walking. Because I have been walking 1-2 miles each day trying to loose weight and improve my health the inflamation has been slowly increasing.

Well while in Utah with my best friend for over 20 yrs we explored SLC and Temple Square and did an 8 1/2 trek in one day. Needless to say I over did it. So combining the walking and exploring between the reunion, exploring Utah with Melly, then my PCOS flair up my body could not handle the stress and basicly flipped out on me.

I gave the drs a run for their money and a lead them to a very difficult diagnosis.

Now I get to take prednisone to try and reduce the inflimation, increase the naprixin, wean down the narcs, and feel better really soon.

1 comment:

VickiLF said...

Wow! Does that mean another surgery to remove the ovaries? I am guessing that is a definite. So sorry you have been going through all that, but at least you now know what it is and can get that taken care of!

Good luck, give everyone hugs and kisses from us. We love you guys very much!

Have a great day!