Monday, December 5, 2011

Reflections...

So I made a trip into NYC on a day I was not feeling very well in hopes of meeting up with a friend. Unfortunately even the best planned plans do not always work out as expected. On such a trip little things like extra toll booths, construction, accidents, missed exits, were not taken into account. Nor was the dr's appointment that was running late setting the whole day behind.

However, the long drive let to realization of many new adventures taken since Frank's deployment to Afghanistan. As it is before he deployed I would NEVER have considered driving more than 2 hours anywhere to meet up with anyone. I would NEVER consider driving in a town like Baltimore with the crazy traffic there. I had survived there so how bad could NYC be.

The drive was not to bad as long as I stayed on an inside lane on the big bridges, yes I do NOT like heights. Those bridges make me nervous, ok very nervous. I was very glad to learn there were NO tunnels going to NYC. The traffic flowed most of the way until I got into the city.

I found my way to the airport about the time the plane was scheduled to be leaving. Bummed out, I sat for a bit, but satisfied I found my way into town, I left to try and find a Target for something I found my way onto Atlantic something.

Soon my nerves were raw. I discovered NYC is a traffic safety hazard, more accurate a crash test dummy site. Oh my goodness. I know fully understand why car rental places require a insane rental down payment. What is up with double parking in a driving lane, turning right from the LEFT turning lane, using the left lane to go straight from? Not to mention if you are NOT through the light as soon as it turns green all the cars behind you are honking at you.

The funniest though I felt like I was in a scene from Harry Potter. There was this really old man who took 3 seconds per step. When my light was green he was in front of the drivers side head light step 1...2..3..step..1..2..3 step and on it went as he used his cane to ever so slowly walk past my car. here I was getting honked at, and honked at, and honked at....(yeah you get the picture) until finally he pasted by. heheh... well I was driving a HUGE GMC extended Yukon so the little cars behind could NOT see this little old hunched over man ever so slowly walking in front of my truck. Of course I was NOT going to honk at him and give him, (may have given him a heart attack) as he finished passing by he gave me the biggest smile while waving though.

The one part of Atlantic I really hated was driving as the tram or what ever it is called, driving under that loud thing was not cool. LOL kinda freaky actually. The other freaky thing I had happen while driving was simply zoning out, no music on, no cell phone, nothing.. just me in my head and eyes on the road... Suddenly I felt this weird vibration. Again that vibration... Then a third time and I looked around and saw in my rear view mirror were lights on my tail so I pulled over as soon as I had space... Puzzled I saw it was a sherrif's car. However, it was not until it whizzed past me that I heard the sirens. I have no clue how long he had been there. But I am sure by the look on my face they saw I was very confused. I do not understand why I did not hear the siren at all. I noticed in NYC that I could not tell the direction the siren was coming from at all either and have worse trouble with that here in MD as well. But, startling was the vibrating horn thing they used to get my attention. What was that. Kinda cool really...but never knew anything like that existed...any why can't I hear the sirens out here...

Well one thing I have learned from my trip into NYC... I will GLADLY drive any day in Baltimore, but never again in NYC if I can help it. I will leave the crash up derby insanity to Frank. I do believe I can handle the driving to Bethesda...that can't be worse than Baltimore and once I get on base as least that will be sane again hehe...

I do love driving on military bases. That I do know!

No comments: