Friday, December 20, 2013

Eating from a bottle not a tube

Making the connections on how others eat can be difficult when one does not eat "normally." This is the case for our youngest. 

I had the opportunity to babysit a friends infant giving her a break. Well the time for him to need his bottle. What made this so special is that Ellie has played with her dolls, she dresses them, feeds them, does everything for her dolls a normal 8 yr old girl would do. Yet this little boy was not a doll. 

She watched me change him in amazement. Yes babies have tiny bottoms and use tiny diapers. But the shock to her was that babies actually drink from bottles?? What was this foreign concept?

She was thrilled to hold him swaddled in her arms and help him hold his bottle. Suddenly her eyes got big, then she asked me, "Is this really how babies eat their milk?" 

I let her know that yes babies drink their milk from bottles. I think asked if she had ever seen a baby eating like this. Puzzled she at me shaking her head no.

It then dawned me that with all her hospitalizations, surgeries, treatments, procedures, and such, since we had moved from CO we had not had around. In fact I could not remember a time when she was old enough to remember. She is now all excited because babies drink formula from bottles not a tube like her.

I sure love how excited and much she keeps learning.

No comments: